The Chagos Conservation Trust is searching for a new Treasurer and Trustee
Are you a qualified Accountant with an interest in conservation? Can you spare a few hours a week to give something back to the charitable sector? If so, then we want to hear from YOU!
About the role
You will play a crucial role on the Board and in the running of the charity which is celebrating its 30th anniversary this year. Including working closely with the other Trustees and staff to set strategy, maintain strong governance and directing the operations of the charity. You will provide financial and governance expertise to the Board.
As well as operating strategically, you will be responsible for the day to day financial management of the charity which is in a key stage of its rewilding project Healthy Islands, Healthy Reefs.
Time commitment: 2 days per month, plus quarterly Finance Committee and Board meetings and the annual AGM - either virtual or in person in London, with all expenses will be paid.
- Attend and provide input to quarterly board meetings.
- Chair the Finance subcommittee of the Board.
- Assist with and advise on the formation of the charity’s strategy and operations, particularly with regard to ensuring the charity has the resources to deliver the strategy.
- Ensure the Board receives regular appropriate budgetary and financial information.
- Preparation of the annual accounts, and liaison with the external examiner, if one is required.
- To advise the board on appropriate accounting procedures, controls and policies.
- Authorise payroll monthly and liaise with external payroll provider.
- Authorise bank payments.
- Ensure bank reconciliations are completed regularly and transactions are appropriately recorded on the accounting software (Xero).
- Lead the annual budget process.
- Provide ad hoc support to other Trustees and staff as required on financial management of projects and grants.
- To ensure the charity monitors the performance of its investments, and has an appropriate investment policy and reserves policy (with the support of a Trustee who is an investment specialist).
- To ensure the Board is aware of its financial duties and responsibilities and the need to comply with all legislation.
- To ensure relevant financial policies are reviewed on a regular basis.
- CCAB qualified accountant.
- Experience of preparation of financial statements.
- Experience of preparation of management and budgets.
- Commitment to CCT’s mission.
- Ability to work effectively as part of a team.
- Strong leadership skills.
- Open and transparent approach.
- Ability to exercise independent judgement, and articulate this in the context of a Board meeting.
- This would be an ideal role for a qualified accountant:
- Looking to expand their leadership skills and gain experience of sitting on a Board.
- With an interest of moving into the charity sector.
- Wanting to move from practice into industry - the role provides an opportunity to develop day to day financial management skills, as well as strategic and leadership skills.
- Who is experienced and wanting to expand their skill set.
- Newly-qualified and thinking about their next move.
To apply, please send your CV with a covering letter explaining why you want to do this role for the Trust, to the current Treasurer Rachel McGoff firstname.lastname@example.org