CCT's vision for the future of science in the Chagos Archipelago, based on 20 years of research
Monday 18th November 2013
10am – 5pm
Huxley Lecture Theatre at Zoological Society of London (map and directions)
Tickets cost £30 (£20 Concession) and include refreshments, lunch and drinks reception
Earlier this year we celebrated the Chagos Conservation Trust’s 20th birthday, and we will be continuing these celebrations at the 2013 conference by showcasing some of the most ground breaking science from Chagos over the past 20 years, as well as giving an update of the work conducted since last year’s conference.
This will include:
- Prof. Charles Sheppard introducing the conference with an overview of the past 20 years, a summary of new discoveries and a look at the way forward for Chagos
- Nigel Wenban-Smith, a former BIOT commissioner and former CCT chairman, presenting on the history of conservation in the Chagos
- Dr. Jeanne Mortimer, expert in sea turtles, talking about her latest work on the turtles of Chagos
- Peter Carr discussing the birdlife of the archipelago
- Dr. John Turner will give an update on his work assessing changes to the corals and other reef life forms since 2006
- An update from the Zoological Society of London on the Connect Chagos: People and Wildlife programme which includes a Chagos Environment Training Course with the Chagossian community in both London and Manchester
Following the conference there will be a two-course buffet dinner hosted by Alan Huckle, the Chairman of CCT in the Prince Albert Suite at ZSL, where you will have an opportunity to try some Chagossian curry. The dinner is not included in the conference ticket, however if you would like to attend and find out even more about the fantastic work going on in Chagos, please choose the conference and dinner ticket option.
This page will be updated regularly as more information about the presentations and the details for the day are confirmed. If you have any questions regarding this event, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
This conference is hosted by the Chagos Conservation Trust, with the generous support of the Zoological Society of London and the Darwin Initiative.
Tickets for the conference and the dinner are available to purchase safely and securely through Eventbrite.
Standard and concession tickets for the conference include refreshments throughout the day, a sandwich lunch and a drinks reception in the evening. If you would like to also attend the two-course buffet dinner then please choose a dinner and conference ticket.
Eventbrite is our preferred method of registration, however if you would rather not pay online please send an email to email@example.com to let us know you wish to register and we will email you with alternative options.